Sunday, September 23, 2018

Leaving Grand Bend


Well here I go again, sad to be leaving, excited to be leaving… I’ve always said the sign of a well-balanced life is not being able to wait for vacation and then being so happy to go home! This time reconnecting with Mary and Larry was wonderful. I vow it will NOT be so long before we visit again. I am happy to be on the road again though, off on another great adventure. We crossed the border with our Nexus cards for the first time today. While we have never had any problem, today when we flashed our card, they didn’t even want to know where we were from, where we were headed, nor why! Not sure if it was just the luck of the day or Nexus is code word for smooth sailing!

Well, maybe not smooth…the roads through northern Michigan are utter nonsense! It was like driving on a washboard! We couldn’t even carry on a normal conversation as our voices wavered and rattled the road was so rough! Not sure if that was the cause of the final straw in our water system or again it was just the luck of the day, but by the time we arrived in the campground in Gaylord Michigan, the only water available to us was flowing through our carpet!

When we arrived at our KOA stop the office was closed and while there were notes taped to the door for late arrivals, none of the envelopes were addressed to “Boss”. The owners who came out to offer assistance could not find any reservation but fortunately still had sites. So in short order we were on the site ready to tackle the latest challenge. Fortunately, as I’ve said, I married MacGyver, and as long as his wine glass was full, he was committed to finding a solution and cleaning the mess!

By mid-day next day, he had found an RV dealer, secured the necessary parts, made the repairs and we are on the road again heading back to our home and native land. A short stop in Sault Ste Marie to secure groceries that we were not allowed to carry across the border and we joined John and Julie on the shores of Pancake Bay on Lake Superior.

The park is lovely. Quite busy for this time of year I thought, and the sites are ridiculous to navigate, but David is pretty darn good at fitting us into ridiculous places, so before long we were enjoying the spoils from the last trip’s distillery tasting!

We discussed just how blessed we were to live where we do. In the last week we have explored the shores of three Great Lakes! I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite, but it’s impossible to not appreciate the majesty of the Great Kitchi-gami! You really do have the sense of wilderness and the humbling sense of your position in the great scheme of things!
A beautiful welcome

Good night!

1 comment: